Most households today use significantly more powered devices than the average family just a few decades ago, and this can be a problem if your house doesn’t have enough electrical wall outlets. The obvious solution is to get a power strip, but there are some things that you need to take into consideration when using these.
- Avoid daisy-chaining power strips. This can lead to over-loading the power outlet.
- Don’t use the power strip with the cord wound up our tied into knots. The cord needs to be straight while in use.
- Don’t use with high-voltage devices such as refrigerators, space-heaters, microwaves or dishwashers.
- Unless the strip is listed as such, don’t assume it is a surge protector. It could lead to your devices being vulnerable to surges.
- Make sure you insert plugs completely. If any part of the metal prongs are showing, it is a fire hazard.
- If there is any damage to the wires, discard the power strip immediately. Do not use it if it is burnt, discolored or cracked.
- Don’t place the strip in an area where there is limited air circulation. This can lead to overheating.
- Never cut off the grounding wire to fit the strip into an ungrounded receptacle.
- Don’t use a strip in a moist or wet environment.